Pinecrest

During the early 1900s, Miami pioneer and railroad tycoon Henry Flagler used the property at US 1 and Southwest 102 Street as a staging area during the construction of the Overseas Railroad to the Florida Keys.

In the 1930s, the area’s growth continued and the community began to evolve around one of the first tourist attractions established in the Miami vicinity – Parrot Jungle and Gardens. The Parrot Jungle was founded in 1936 by Franz and Louise Scherr on twenty-acres of property located at Red Road and Southwest 111 Street and over the years became a world famous tourist attraction whose visitors included Sir Winston Churchill. Today it is the site of Pinecrest Gardens and the property was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.

The Miami Serpentarium, another popular tourist attraction, was located on US 1, next to the current site of the Pinecrest Municipal Center, for many decades prior to closing in the mid-1980s.

During the 1950s and 1960s the area flourished with the development and construction of ranch-style homes on acre lots which laid the foundation for the community’s rural and lushly landscaped residential character.

Rapid growth and local issues during the 1990s inspired a movement led by residents Evelyn Langlieb Greer and Gary Matzner to incorporate the area. The Village of Pinecrest was officially incorporated on March 12, 1996Pinecrest boundaries SW 88 Street (Kendall Drive) to SW 136 Street and SW 57 Avenue to US1.

Travel Time to Downtown Miami 40 to 60 minutes

Travel Time to Miami International Airport 30 minutes

City Hall
12645 Pinecrest Parkway
Website: www.pinecrest.fl.gov/
305-234-2121

Public Schools
Website: www.dadeschools.net

Private Schools

Gulliver Academy
5-8
7500 SW 120 Street
305-666-7937

CondominiumHousesRentals

Return to Previous Page